Tuesday, December 06, 2005

One year of The Rag: State of the blog

It was one year ago today that I posted my first entry here. My intention was to use this site as a temporary scratchpad so I could learn about blogger.com and put that knowledge to use working on another blog. Now that other site is defunct.

When I made the decision to keep writing, I wasn't sure what I'd write about, but I never let it worry me too much. I write for myself, and if anyone finds it useful or amusing, I won't complain. Neither will I complain if no one bothers to read it.

As for the name -- Maslov's Rag -- it's just the first thing that popped into my head when I registered the site. Rag is one of those nice short words that have lots of entries in the dictionary. It could be a newspaper or a schmatte. Or it could be a musical work like one named after a nightclub in Sedalia, Missouri.

At times, I think about things I might do to customize this site. I could add a blogroll. Or I could get rid of those dots all over the page so that it doesn't look like every other Blogspot page. But these things take some effort, which I'd rather spend on writing content.

The most interesting thing happened this past year as a result of my blogging... I stumbled upon descendants of my great-great uncle who had not had any contact with my part of the family for many years. In order to leave a comment on my site, the one who wrote me, Natalia, had to create a Blogger account. While she was at it, she created her own blog, which is much more entertaining than mine.

2 Comments:

Blogger Natalia said...

Awww...Mark..it's not more interesting than yours...it's just that I rant a lot. BTW...we've met a lot of the family and will at some point be making a trip for the "Cousin's Club" thingy. :)

-N

12/07/2005 08:50:00 AM  
Blogger Mark M said...

Natalia... You're very kind. :-)

I did hear about how some of the cousins went to visit you, and I even saw some of the Zarits' pictures. I look forward to meeting you and your family when you come to Chicago!

12/08/2005 08:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home