Sunday, November 20, 2005

A Taste of Silence

I live half a mile from the eye of the storm known as A Taste of Heaven. I guess it was about two weeks ago that The New York Times published an article about this little sign they posted that reads:
Children of all ages have to behave and use their indoor voices when coming to A Taste of Heaven.

Actually, the Chicago Tribune published a story almost two months earlier, but the issue didn't reach critical mass until it made it to the pages of the NYT.

As for what I think, I support the owner. It's his restaurant, and he makes the rules. Yes, the restaurant serves pastries and ice cream, which kids like. But I, too, like pastries and ice cream, and what's more, I always use my indoor voice.

If anyone is seriously trying to stage a boycott, it doesn't seem to be hurting business. I haven't been in there in the past two weeks, but I hear they've been drawing such a crowd that, ironically, it's noisier in there than ever. So where in Andersonville can you go to eat in peace? Plenty of places.

I've written about Sweet Occasions, a bakery/cafe that recently opened up. My sister says they make the best quiche. Huey's (also mentioned in the above link) is a good place to get a hot dog or hamburger. Neither of these places is necessarily quiet, but at least they're good alternatives to A Taste of Heaven until the furor dies down. If you want quiet, try Urban Epicure, which has a nice little cafe area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home