Saturday, November 12, 2005

Broadway update

This spring I did an informal survey of Broadway between Foster (5200N) and Bryn Mawr (5600N). Since then, there have been some encouraging developmeents.

I had noted that the 5318 storefront was vacant. I think it might have been a discount cigarette store (?) previously. AJ's Grill should be opening in that spot any day now. It'll have to be pretty good to compete with Huey's in Andersonville.

I had described the Balmoral Building, at the southeast corner of Broadway and Balmoral, as vacant and poorly maintained. It appears to have been taken over by the owners of the Chinese grocery just to its south. The entire building is being renovated, and I've heard rumors that they will turn it into an Asian restaurant.

Work is in progress at 5433-37. I had previously included this property as part of the North Side Cleaners and Dyers building, but this is incorrect. 5433-37 is a separate, single-story building. The front facade has been restored to bring out the roof-line inscription: "Lincoln Hand Laundry." It has new windows, and a for-lease sign has been posted.

Construction on 5439-41 looks to be complete, and they are looking for a business to occupy the ground floor.

A used bookstore named Kate the Great's Book Emporium has opened up at 5550. I went in there and took a look around. They keep it nice and tidy in there, and they have a good selection of books. I bought a copy of Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City, which it seems like everyone has read but me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home