Sunday, October 16, 2005

Goings on

Yesterday was the Fall Festival at Cedar Park, a children's play lot near where I live. I know some people on the Cedar Park Advisory Council, so I decided to stop over there in the last hour of the festival.

When I got there, the park was mobbed with literally hundreds of people, mostly under the age of twelve. And I was told that the crowd had already thinned out. It may be hyperbole, but it was said that at its most crowded, there was hardly room to move anywhere in the park.

Three years ago, Cedar Park had a look of neglect about it. It was overrun with weeds, and some sort of vine had taken over the back fence and was threatening to engulf the swing set. The paint on the playground equipment was faded and peeling. Originally intended for the enjoyment of young children, it attracted an older and rougher crowd. No parent wanted their kid playing in an environment like that.

So some people from the Edgewater Beach Neighbors Association (EBNA) got together and formed the Cedar Park Advisory Council, and they cleaned up the park. This summer the park hosted a series of concerts (I think they were even trying to book Ella Jenkins) and a yard sale, and then yesterday was the Fall Festival.

Moving on to today... I decided to get a hot dog at Huey's in Andersonville, where I often eat lunch on Sundays. I had forgotten that this weekend was the Andersonville Art Walk. All along Clark, neighborhood artists were showing their work. The quality varied, but it was all good in its own way. It was, at least, a good opportunity to go into the little shops lining the street. I came across a Suzuki recital, which was of particular interest to me, having once been a student of the Suzuki method. The recital was at Sweet Occasions, a bakery and ice cream parlor that opened up just last month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home