Tuesday, October 04, 2005

L'Shana Tova

The handsome couple pictured below are not related to me -- not quite. They were the machetonim (in-laws) of my first cousin twice removed.

oldjewishcouple

Were they alive today, not only would they be extremely old, but they would be very much surprised to find their faces displayed here. Amerika ganif! -- they might say, although it's not just in America anymore where one can experience such wonders of the modern world as computers, digitized photos, the Internet, and Flickr accounts. This particular photo came to me from my cousins in Argentina.

On the reverse side of the photo, in Yiddish, is written:
12 March 1927

To our dear and very beloved children ... and to our dear grandchildren, .... may you all be happy and healthy. We, your parents, send you our pictures as good wishes and also wish you, from deep in our hearts, great good fortune.

The hat the man is wearing, a type of yarmulke, identifies him as a devout Jew of Eastern Europe. This yarmulke is remarkable in that I don't think I've ever seen such a tall one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home