Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Chess and blogging

There's an online chess engine I like to play against to kill time: the Accoona Artificial Intelligence chess game. While I'm playing, I'm supposedly training it to play against me. (If you play chess at all, I'd encourage you to go the site and help train the program.) Since I'm not a very strong chess player, I usually play against its easy setting, and most of the time, it does play a reasonable game of chess. Occasionally, though, it has a very, very bad day. Not long ago, I delivered checkmate in an embarrassing 15 moves. A few days later, it played the same opening line but made some improvements and lasted a few more moves. I've recorded the game and added a few annotations (get out your chessboard):
[M. Maslov v. Accoona Artificial Intelligence--Easy] 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 g6 A variation of Caro-Kann, but my opening repertoire is weak, and I'm already out of my book. 4.e5 Be6 5.Nf3 Nd7 6.Bd3 Bh6 In a previous game, the computer played 6...Nh6 instead, after which the dark bishops stayed on the board. 7.Bxh6 Nxh6 8.h3 Nf5 9.Bxf5 Bxf5 In a previous game, with a similar position, the computer recaptured with the pawn, which was a mistake. 10.0-0 Qb6 11.b3 Qb4 12.Qd2 Rd8 The program is supposed to play more like a human, but shuffling the rook on the back rank is a classic computer move. 13.a3 Qa5 14.b4 Qb6 15.Rfc1 0-0? Black castles into trouble. 16.Qh6 Be4?? Black doesn't understand the trouble he's in. 17.Ng5 Re8 18.Qxh7+ Kf8 19.Qxf7#

The Accoona Chess website has also been reporting on the World Championship match being held for the last two weeks in San Luis, Argentina, and through this, I somehow stumbled upon the site of a fellow Blogspot blogger: Susan Polgar. She happens to be one of the top chess players in the world, and here she's blogging on the same server as me. My ones and zeroes are not worthy! While I might gloat over my success against a weak computer program, against Ms. Polgar (either Susan or her sister Judit), I'd be lucky to survive much more than two moves (1.f3 e5 2.g4 Qh4#).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home