Saturday, December 22, 2007

Good-bye, temporary cat, my friend

grendel_carrier_small

After a year and a half with Grendel, the temporary cat, I had to face the fact that I'm not so good at placing homeless animals. So today, I drove him to a local no-kill shelter and left him in their care. In all likelihood, I will never see him again.

During his stay at my home, he never exhibited the misbehavior that compelled his previous owner to give him up. Lucky for Grendel that he kicked the habit -- it makes him much more adoptable. I hope he finds a good lap to sit in soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sickboy said...

Why did you get rid of the kitty?

12/28/2007 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Mark M said...

A reasonable question... When the previous owner relinquished him to me, I was not really in a position to take another cat, since I already had Jazzy, who will NOT tolerate other cats in her presence. (The whole time I had Grendel, I had to keep poor Jazzy locked up in the bedroom.) So I made it clear when I took Grendel that I would be looking for another home for him.

My taking Grendel in on a temporary basis (which ended up being longer than I expected) was better than the alternative... The previous owner would have had to take him to a shelter, and not a no-kill one, since he basically had to give up the cat that day. Grendel almost certainly would have been euthanized.

12/28/2007 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Sickboy said...

well, you did a good deed then and now the kitty is at a no kill shelter. Hopefully, Grendel will find a nice warm and loving home to be part of. My ex and I had a problem with one of our cats very similar to what you have explained with Grendel, its not an easy thing to deal with and youre right, it isnt fair to keep your other kitty, Jazzy, all locked up like that.

12/30/2007 08:20:00 PM  
Blogger dad-e~O said...

Grendel is a FANTASTIC name for a cat

1/18/2008 06:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home