Wednesday, November 21, 2007

What that last post was about

Lately I haven't had much time to write. And even so, not everything I jot down gets into the blog. Sometimes I write a couple paragraphs on a scrap of paper, and it gets tucked away in a notepad, never to be read again. Maybe I throw it away. Here's something I wrote on November 9, but I was in no mood that day to post it:
Tonight I attended the wake of a friend. One of my college buddies. As Vonnegut would say, "So it goes." Except it should have gone another way. I'm old enough now where, if I still had a beard, parts of it would be gray, but I'm still young enough that I'd be more likely to be standing up at a friend's wedding than to be standing over a friend's grave.

At the wake, there was an open casket. In my religious tradition, that's just not done, and I had managed to get all gray-bearded without ever having been to a wake with an open casket. So I go into the funeral home, and there's my friend, sort of. His face was heavily made up, and to be honest, he looked like a wax-museum model of himself. Had I actually been in a wax museum, I would have said, "Yeah, that's him, but they didn't get it quite right." My friend had an expressive face, and the expression they left on him was utterly blank.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sickboy said...

I can totally relate to what you felt Mark. I just went through the same, unexpected death of my Dad. They did a decent job in making him look good I guess, but it was still weird to me.....

11/28/2007 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger Mark M said...

Thanks for the comment, Tippy. I went over to the Offmen site and read what you wrote about your father, and I offer you my condolences.

11/29/2007 07:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home