Friday, December 01, 2006

What I've been reading

I've already gotten through three of the books from my October reading list. I just finished one that was not on that list -- The Plot Against America by Philip Roth. I hadn't read anything by Roth since high school, and I had forgotten how much I enjoy his writing.

The Plot Against America is a memoir of Roth's childhood, set in the early 1940s when Charles Lindbergh was President and we nearly went to war against Canada on the side of the fascists. What's that? You don't remember a Lindbergh presidency?

The book is, of course, a work of fiction. There have been many, many works, both fiction and non-fiction, written about various aspects of World War II and the Holocaust. For instance, these themes were prominent in another novel I read recently (also highly recommended): The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. I was a little skeptical that Roth would be able to find anything truly original to say, but the novel easily exceeded my expectations.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned it, but there are similarities between Roth's and Chabon's books. I also enjoyed The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay very much.

Don't I deserve acknowledgement on this blog for recommending The Plot Against America?

12/03/2006 10:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, the titles in my last post should've been italicized but I don't know how to format using HTML tags.

12/03/2006 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger Mark M said...

The Girlfriend: Consider yourself acknowledged. You know, as I was reading your comment, I was thinking... Why aren't those book titles italicized? I was aghast -- aghast, I say!!! Seriously, in a world where a good number of people don't even bother to press the shift key in their online communication, I don't think anyone will miss the italics.

Here's my little HTML formatting tutorial of the day:

For italics, put <i> and </i> tags around the italicized text.
For boldface, but <b> and </b> tags around the boldface text.

Example:
The word <i>italics</i> is italicized. The word <b>bold</b> is in boldface.
The word italics is italicized. The word bold is in boldface.

If you want to display HTML tags without the browser interpreting them as tags, you need you use the HTML entities for the '<' and '>' characters, which are, respectively: &lt; and &gt;.

Example:
The &lt;i&gt; tag is used for italics.
The <i> tag is used for italics.

Finally, if you want to display an ampersand in HTML, you need to use the &amp; HTML entity.

12/03/2006 12:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home