Friday, January 27, 2006

Good radio, bad poetry

A while back I mentioned the Odyssey radio program, produced by Chicago Public Radio and hosted by Gretchen Helfrich. Sometime in October, I turned on the radio between noon and one, and a different show was on. What happened to Gretchen?

According to the Chicago Public Radio website, Odyssey ceased production at the end of September. Gretchen was off the air.

Then, two weeks ago, I heard a familiar voice -- Gretchen was moderating a discussion of the Samuel Alito confirmation hearings. Is Odyssey back? Sadly, no. It was merely part of Chicago Public Radio's all-day coverage of the hearings.

Hearing her on the radio again has inspired me to write some free verse in the style of Paul Neil Milne Johnstone. Enjoy, to the extent that Vogon poetry can be enjoyed...

Ode-ssey to Gretchen

Eating lunch in my car, I
Listen to
You, Gretchen,
On the radio --
Listen to
Your voice, spicy as
My chicken sandwich;
Your probing questions are as
A straw
Through a plastic lid.
Tell me,
What is the meaning of
This, my ode to you?
Discuss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home