Saturday, December 31, 2005

What I've been reading

The number of books I read barely cracked the double figures in 2005. Considering all the things that compete for my time, I think it's a pretty good accomplishment to get through a book every five weeks.

Usually I gravitate toward the non-fiction section of the bookstore, but this year I read a few good works of fiction...

The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon
The Life of Pi, by Yann Martel
The Unbearable Lightness of Being, by Milan Kundera

2006 will mark the 100th anniversary of the publication of The Jungle. With its setting in Chicago, I think it would be appropriate for the City to make this book its One Book, One Chicago selection. But I kind of doubt they will, given the political climate these days, and given the book's unflattering portrayal of early-1900s, working-class Chicago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home