Monday, July 11, 2005

Local theatre: Band Geeks

Saturday I went to the opening night performance of Band Geeks: A Halftime Musical.

I must disclose that I know the choreographer, and she could probably kick my *ssterisk (very gracefully, I might add). So I'm not sure if I'm the one to provide an unbiased review. Anyway, I could find no fault in the choreography; great job, Paula!

This comedy is set at a high school in Ohio in the late 1980s. Following the '80s Revenge of the Nerds formula, it is a story of nerds overcoming persecution at the hands of arrogant jocks. Band Geeks is full of '80s cultural references, thematic and otherwise, so for those of us who got our first zit during the Reagan presidency, it's a lot of fun.

Band Geeks is beginning a five week run at the Live Bait Theater, on Clark near the Sheridan Red Line stop.

[11 JUL 2005 17:40:00] Update: Before anyone asks how I could have seen the show Saturday night and posted an entry at 9:50 PM, I should mention that Band Geeks has a very late showtime -- 10:45 PM.

The have a website: www.bandgeeksmusical.com

And a much-neglected blog: bandgeeksmusical.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home