Friday, April 22, 2005

Bush: Chicago's Native Son?

I am a very infrequent diarist over at DailyKos. I don't know what came over me, but today I posted a diary.

The subject wasn't anything terribly momentous, just a morsel of irony I found in today's Chicago Tribune. I decided to post at DailyKos and not here for two reasons. First, the audience there is likely to be hundreds of times larger there in the 30 minutes the diary is visible in the recent diaries list than it will ever be on my humble blog. Second, while I try to keep the writing here interesting, I'm basically writing for myself, and so any discernible quantity of snark on this page just seems superfluous.

Anyway, I've changed my mind; I'm cross posting the thing here after all. (Link to the original here.) The diary reads as follows:

Today's Chicago Tribune reported that President Bush gave a Chicago P.O. box as his address on this year's tax return.  Maybe someday I'll head down to the post office and make a pilgrimage to his "home".  Or maybe I'll just buy some stamps.  The post office is located, appropriately enough, where the Eisenhower Expressway meets Congress Parkway.  And on the map, it's a few blocks to the right of both Clinton and Jefferson.

Some excerpts from the Tribune article:
Home is where the money is when it comes time for President Bush to file his taxes.

Home is not the White House, and home is not the range of his Crawford, Texas, ranch.

Home is Chicago.

Post Office Box 803968, Chicago, IL 60680, that is--according to the 2004 federal income tax return that Bush filed this spring, just like returns the president has filed every year since his election.

...

Sticklers for detail might notice that instructions for Internal Revenue Service Form 1040 explain how taxpayers should list their addresses.

"If you have a P.O. Box, see Page 16," the 1040 form advises. Page 16 is pretty clear: "Enter your box number only if your post office does not deliver mail to your home."

Yet the IRS maintains the president's papers are in order. And a spokesman for Northern Trust offers a standard response for questions about its clients, including the president: No comment.

Bush's legal residence is in Texas, which has no state income tax. He pays no state taxes in Illinois because he doesn't live in the state.

Yes sir... that Bush is a real man of the people, a real authentic guy.  You know,  the kind of guy who lives on a real ranch without any real cattle.  For a native son, Bush did surprisingly poorly in the 2004 election.  He lost every single ward in Chicago, and Chicagoans preferred Kerry by an 82-18 margin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home