Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Welcome!

A couple of months ago, one of my coworkers sent me a link to an odd little website: Zombo.com. I'm not sure who is responsible for it, or what it means... But after visiting the site, don't you feel welcome?

A short time after discovering Zombo (where the unattainable is unknown), I found, via Chicago Tribune columnist Eric Zorn's blog, an interesting essay by Olia Lialina titled A Vernacular Web, which has a section on the "welcome page."

Zombo is an interesting example of a website that is all welcome page. Actually, that's not quite true -- for a few seconds at the end of the animation, a link pops up; you have to be quick, or it disappears, and the animation starts over. If you click the link, a page comes up that says, simply: "Sorry this is not working right now. ThankZ for your patience." That's it. That's the whole website! Every time I check in on Zombo, I'm a little worried that it will be "completed" -- which, to me, would ruin it. It's enough for me to feel welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home