Saturday, March 17, 2007

My steaks were marinated

"My steaks were marinated." That's what I heard Gonzales say. Later, on a Spanish-language station, I think I heard them saying something about 93 avocados. Why all the fuss over some carne asada? And suddenly everyone's all in a lather about the passive voice -- I, for one, have never been a purist in this regard. The passive voice has its time and place. To me, it is not important who marinated the steaks, only that they were marinated. Now, if the marinater of the steaks made mistakes, that would be a different story. Then we might need to point fingers. And if it turns out those mistakes involved firing Justice Department prosecutors for political reasons, then I think we need a new Attorney General.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home