Saturday, February 17, 2007

Hot Ducks

I thought it was interesting that Doug Sohn made the front page of the Chicago Tribune today. His brother Andy, a real estate agent, helped me find my current home (and he still owes me a bottle of wine). The Tribune article is about Hot Doug's, Doug Sohn's high-end hot dog restaurant. It seems that Sohn is sort of blatantly disregarding the City's new foie gras ban, and the City isn't too pleased about that.

The last time I wrote about foie gras was almost two years ago, when I praised Charlie Trotter for taking it off his menu. I still believe that foie gras is produced through inhumane means. I wouldn't order it myself, and I'd like to see Mr. Sohn comply with the ordinance. That said, I wouldn't go so far as to boycott Hot Doug's... Their hot dogs are too good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

it's good to hear support for the foie gras ban - what they do to those birds is terrible. but what they do to pigs or (for chicago hot dogs) cows is often just as bad. not to mention the fact that livestock produce 1/5 of the world's greenhouse gases - more than cars. i think as a society we need to start thinking seriously about whether meat-eating is ethical or, given the environmental effects, even in our self interest as a species.

3/10/2007 01:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home