Thursday, August 11, 2005

Metapost: Comments policy

It's been a while since I've done a good meta.

Comments are good. Go ahead and leave one if you like. But you'll have to be a registered user at Blogger.com to do so.

A few people I know have taken a look around here and then complained to me that they didn't want to register with Blogger just so they could leave a comment. I could set up my blog to allow anonymous comments, but I choose not to, and here's Exhibit A as to why: a site I linked to in a recent entry. Mr. Anonymous is not accountable for what he says. Mr. Anonymous is occasionally thoughtful, but he can also be an abusive jerk, and he's not welcome here.

Some bloggers opt not to allow any comments at all. In this case it's the blogger who is unaccountable for what he or she writes. This is the kind of person who always wants the last word in an argument. If he doesn't give the other side an opportunity to say anything, so much the better. (If you disagree with this characterization -- leave a comment.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home