Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Lunch time at the office

So I've decided to play with the blogger.com editing interface. Please excuse my overuse of fonts and colors...

I spent yesterday evening painting my basement ceiling. The building was built in 1903, and whatever was up there looked almost as old. It was this black crud that was cracked and flaky and seemed to be mostly held together by cobwebs. When I tried cleaning the ceiling, a lot of it disintegrated and fell on me as a sooty dust. Yuck. Fortunately, I was wearing goggles, a mask, and a cap. Lord kno
ws what's in that stuff. Probably lead. Whatever didn't easily brush off, I left and covered over with white primer. The primer made everything a nice, uniform color. It also made all the defects in the ceiling stand out. There are holes, crude patches, and places where the ceiling material has buckled or sagged. And there are:

  • pipes
  • electrical conduit
  • telephone cables
  • and cable TV cables



...going every which way. The TV and phone lines are not in any sort of neat cable harness. It's just a nest of 4-conductor (red-green-black-yellow) phone cord up there. Some day, if I'm feeling brave, I might try to clean it up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark M said...

I've learned my lesson. The editor, to put it mildly, is not very good.

After spending a fair amount of time struggling with the formatting, I tried to update the posting time, and it showed up an hour off. (I posted at around 12:05.)

The preview does not format according to the way my blog is configured. A font that looks really big on the preview page looks smaller when published. Colors that stand out against the white background of the preview page are barely visible against the dark background of my blog. Creating block quotes and lists -- infuriating! Probably the best bet is to write everything out, then sparingly apply formats.

12/07/2004 12:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home