Saturday, July 22, 2006

Jazzy's unlucky 13th

As a 13th birthday present for my cat, I took her to the vet. She was not thrilled. Nor was I when I found out that her weight had plummeted from 7-1/4 to just 6 pounds in the last six months. She had had thyroid problems in the past, but then she inexplicably went into remission, and her weight had been stable for the past two years.

Yesterday I took Jazzy to a veterinary specialty clinic for a "thyroid scan," and it revealed that she has a benign thyroid adenoma. So I'll need to get treatment for her -- probably radioactive iodine. It's expensive, but it would be just as expensive to treat it with medication for three years.

A small amount of radioactive iodine was used in Jazzy's thyroid scan, so for a short while, I had a slightly radioactive cat. She'd be radioactive for a longer period of time while undergoing the treatment. It got me thinking... If Peter Parker gets bitten by a radioactive spider and turns into Spider-Man, what happens if you get bitten by a radioactive cat? Cat-Man??? That doesn't sound like a very good superhero. But I looked it up, and as it turns out, there was a superhero from the 1940s named Cat-Man (with his sidekick Kitten). Check out the Wikipedia entry. All I've got to say is Cat-Man's costume could use some pants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home