Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Endorsements

For Illinois residents, it's just two weeks until primary elections (on March 21). Early voting has already started for those who can't wait that long. There are 21 early voting sites in Chicago. You can find the location nearest you at the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners' website.

As for my endorsements, I know they're not worth much. Hardly anyone will read them, and no candidate will tout the fact that they were endorsed by some obscure blogger. I humbly present them regardless...

Proposition 48: Last year I wrote several entries about how part of Senn High School was to be converted into Rickover Military Academy. (Previously, I had expressed doubt as to the status of Save Senn's website, but it is still up and running.) The school year is well underway, and yes, there is a military academy operating there today, albeit a very small one. Enrollment at Rickover is roughly 100, versus more than 1500 for Senn.

Despite the fact that Rickover has already opened, there is still opposition. Over 3000 48th Ward residents have signed a petition calling for a community process on this issue. And members of the LSC and the Alderman's Senn Tomorrow committee have not forgotten how their own voices were ignored. In the Chicago primaries there will be a referendum -- Proposition 48 -- again calling for a community process. If you are registered in Chicago and find this on your ballot, vote YES.

Broadway Ballot Initiative: On Sunday I met the man who was responsible for getting this on the ballot. I don't know what number this proposition is, and it is only on the ballot in a few precincts in the 48th Ward. The proposal is to downzone Broadway to B1-2. The Alderman already has spoken in favor of downzoning, but she has left it open to the community to try to convince her otherwise. If this proposition passes, it will reinforce what Alderman Smith is already inclined to do. I've written previously in support of B1-2; if you find this on your ballot, vote YES.

Cook County Board President: I'm no fan of machine politics. I think government has a role to play in promoting the general welfare of the citizenry, and I'd rather my tax dollars not go to support a political machine instead. This is particularly important in the case of a governmental unit that runs a large hospital where mismanagement can have serious consequences. Last year, I heard Commissioner Mike Quigley speak at a block club meeting. At the time, he was hinting at a run for Board President on a reform platform, and I thought he'd make a good candidate. As it happens, he ended up withdrawing and throwing his support to another reform candidate -- Forrest Claypool. The establishment will disagree with me, but I endorse Claypool over the incumbent John Stroger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home