Sunday, June 19, 2005

Superdawg

I've already confessed my love of encased meats.

In my neighborhood, we have Huey's -- kosher dogs, and open on Sundays. I've also enjoyed Hot Doug's at Roscoe and California, owned by a guy named Doug.

But these hot dog stands, while very good, are mere upstarts compared to Superdawg at the corner of Devon and Milwaukee. Haven't been there? Then put this on your short list of things to do before you die. And I highly recommend visiting their website.

I was sure this hot dog stand must have stood at this intersection from the beginning of time, but research reveals that it actually opened in 1948. In any case, this is the hot dog stand that time forgot; it looks exactly the same today as I have always remembered it. Back when I was growing up, one way to get to my grandparents' Rogers Park home was to head down Devon Ave, past the colossus of anthropomorphic lunch meat. So I always associated Superdawg with visits to my grandparents.

My sister, my brother in law, and I stopped there today on our way out to points northwest, and it was hopping! Superdawg is a drive-in with about two dozen spaces, and all were taken. So we had to park on the sidewalk, outside the jurisdiction of any carhop, and place our orders inside. Hot dogs come in a cute little box with fries and a pickled green tomato. The hot dog itself was good but not exceptional, but bonus points for the tomato! And the fries were excellent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home